What We Do
Flying Plow is a diverse certified organic farm in Cecil County, MD. Our primary focus is vegetable production for our 150 member CSA, four farmers markets, an on-farm stand, and some restaurant/wholesale sales. Most of our working hours are spent around the vegetables, planting, weeding, harvesting, washing, packing, selling, etc.
We have 13 acres in vegetable production with 6.5 acres in cash crops during the season and the remainder in cover crops. We harvest every week of the year.
Vegetables make up the bulk of our farming time and our income, but we have plenty of livestock, too. We keep 4 draft horses to help with vegetable tillage, cultivation, and farm chores. During the year we have 150 to 300 layers on the farm, and during the spring and fall we raise several batches of pastured broiler chickens. Finally, we have a small grass-based beef herd that are rotationally grazed and a few pigs here and there throughout the season.
How We Work
We seek crew members who:
- Are passionate and motivated about working on a diversified farm.
- Are observant, efficient, enthusiastic, self-motivated, responsible, and detail oriented.
- Desire and are able to work long hours during the peak of the season in all types of weather.
- Are physically resilient. You should be able to repeatedly lift and carry 50 pounds; crouch, squat, and bend for long periods of time in all types of weather.
- Have a strong work ethic with a can-do, let’s get it done attitude.
- Desire to work as quickly and efficiently as possible.
- Have a sense of humor and a strong sense of perspective.
We give preference to those applicants that are able to work full-time in all aspects of the farm, interested in a year or longer commitment to the farm, and have demonstrated passion for farming.
Farmers Market Staff
This is a seasonal, part time position that runs from mid-April to mid-November 2018. We are looking for a motivated, people-person to help us sell veggies, chicken, beef, pork, and eggs at the Newark Co-op Farmers Market in Newark, DE on Sundays. The market runs from 9:30 am to 2 pm, staff hours would be roughly 7 am to 4 pm, every Sunday. Must have valid driver's license and clean driving record.
Farm Worker Apprenticeship
We are looking for someone who wants to work Monday through Saturday on our general farm crew. Tasks will include planting, transplanting, weeding, mowing, trimming, harvesting, washing, packing.
Draft Horse Apprenticeship
This is a year-round position. We are looking for an observant, effective, enthusiastic, self-motivated, responsible, and detail oriented person who wants to learn how to farm with horses.
To apply please complete our application by opening the form below.
Along with submitting the application please email a resume to email@example.com with "FPF Worker Resume" in the subject line.